Archive for the ‘Event’ Category

Free HP Helion Workshop during LInuxCon 2014 in Chicago this week

2014/08/16

While I was reviewing my calendar for next week LinuxCon AMA 2014 in Chicago, I found out that a new workshop was proposed during the week. This is on HP Helion OpenStack

And I received also an internal mail talking about it. So first I registered :-) and then I thought it would be a good idea to advertize it through this blog.

It will be held the 21st of August in the afternoon, so feel free to come and learn or share your OpenStack knowledge with our experts. All the details haven been published in that article.

Now time to finish my vacation in Croatia, drive back to France and and catch the plane on monday to be in Chicago and enjoy all the sessions !

First attempt to present during the upcoming OpenStack Summit in Paris

2014/08/03

Just before leaving for vacation (Croatia is a great place to visit), I made 2 submissions for the next OpenStack Summit in Paris. It’s the first time I try to submit talks for this event. I could have done before, but this time, it’s very convenient as much nearer from where I live so thought it was a good opportunity to try.

So if you want to see me around for sure, vote for my talks ;-)

The first proposal is to have a round table on collaboration and coopetition in OpenStack, with speakers from HP (of course ;-)), Red Hat, SUSE and Mirantis, as I have good candidates in mind for this one that should generate interesting discussions and lower the heat If I can !

The second one is about a collaboration we recently had with ObjectifLibre around cinder improvements to support our MSA storage system. I think this is a good demonstration of collaboration between HP (a large corporation) and one of our VAR (value added reseller – SMB) around Open Source technology and pave the way for hopefully future improvements.

So if you find these talks can help make that Summit better, don’t hesitate to vote for them ! In any case, I’ll try to attend, as I’m more involved in HP Helion OpenStack and being there is definitely what I need to do to improve my network in this area. See you there then (or sooner in Chicago for LinuxCon)

Open Source Governance Roundtable at LinuxCon North America 2014 in Chicago

2014/07/18

I wasn’t expected to be there this year, but finally one of my proposal which was on waiting list was accepted, so I’m able to be back again this year !

I’ll animate a round table on Open Source Governance during the upcoming LinuxCon in Chicago ! I really need to thank the HP Open Source Program Office and the HP EG Presales management which are funding my travel there ! Without their support, it would not have occured.

The goal of this round table is to share the latest news in the area of Open Source Governance.
Topics covered will include:

  • Status on SPDX, LSB, FHS
  • licenses (e.g: analysis, new comers, usage example),
  • tools (e.g: license analysis, software evaluation, reference web sites),
  • best governance practices (e.g: return of experience, distribution adoption of tags, portability)

I think I’ve one of the best panel that could be gathered in the US around this topic:

  • Eileen Evans, VP & Deputy General Counsel of Cloud Computing and Open Source, HP
  • Bradley M. Kuhn, President & Distinguished Technologist of Software Freedom Conservancy
  • Gary O’Neall, Responsible for product development and technology for Source Auditor Inc
  • Tom Callaway, University Outreach & Fedora Special Projects, Red Hat

So don’t hesitate to come and attend this session, which will be, I’m sure, enlightening and informative on the latest hot topics in the area of Open Source compliance, governance and licenses.
And if you want to talk with me on anything MondoRescue, Project-Builder.org, UEFI, HP and Linux or early music, I’ll be around during the full event. See you there.

Meet at HP ExpertOne Technology & Solutions Summit Again !

2014/06/13

For those of you working for an HP value added reseller (VAR) and attending the HP ExpertOne Technology & Solutions Summit in (again) Barcelona from the 24th to the 27th of June, feel free to meet during one of the session I’ll (co-)deliver:

For those of you wondering why project-builder.org and MondoRescue versions are not published more regularly, that gives you a hint ;-)

See you there to talk of these subjects or something else as you see fit. I’m around the whole week.

Fourth OpenStack Meetup for Rhône Alpes

2014/06/04

The fourth meetup for the OpenStack regional group will be organized again by HP at the HP/Intel Solution Center the 1st of July 2014.

We should have presentations about a new deployment tool by Mirantis, HP Helion by HP and Icehouse features and Juno roadmap.

Refer to http://www.meetup.com/OpenStack-Rhone-Alpes/ (in french) for more details and registration for those of you around.

Join us at HP: 5, avenue Raymond Chanas, Eybens, France
Access B10 HP

Meet at HP ExpertOne Technology & Solutions Summit

2014/01/22

For those of you working for an HP value added reseller (VAR) and attending the HP ExpertOne Technology & Solutions Summit on Barcelona from the 3rd to the 7th of February, feel free to meet during one of the session I’ll (co-)deliver:

For those of you wondering why project-builder.org and MondoRescue versions are not published more regularly, that gives you a hint ;-)

See you there to talk of these subjects or something else as you see fit. I’m around the whole week.

Last Day at Linux.conf.au

2014/01/21

Those interested by the previous part of the story can read the previous article on LCA14.

Time goes quick ! It was already time to pack and prepare to fly back. But before, a full day of interesting sessions was ahead of me.

Keynote at LCA

And the first one, the keynote, was particularly impressive. EVen if I must confess that space never really made me dream that much (sorry dale !), I was pretty impressed by the work done to send 15cm3 satellites, that Jonathan Oxer called ArduSat (in reference to the Arduino project), and the willingness to open source everything.

Jonathan Oxer with an ArduSat

Jonathan explained how he worked with the NASA in order to be able to launch his stellites alongside a more “normal” one, in order to benefit from an existing launch. I think that his idea to make them accessible to schools so they can create their own usage of such “tool”. He also underlined that satellite are still considered as a weapon in the USA and thus it wasn’t possible for him to disclose all what he would have liked to do. He mentioned that he is working with Bdale Garbee on trying to relax this.

ArduSat goal

I then attended a session on “Building APIs Developers Love”. While the presentation gave good overall recommendations, I’d have expect a bit more concrete examples, mention of tools to help you doing so, and a bit more code examples.

Darcy Laycock

After this, I was again more interested to follow closely what happens on the OpenStack side, so I followed the 3 sessions around that topic which were following.

The first was from Robert Collins, HP around Diskimage-builder. I was curious to see the commonalities with what I do around MondoRescue. But in fact the tool is really focussing on an OpenStack environment (as it should !) and they don’t need to manage physical setup, as they target virtual machines (IIUC). Also they really build the target image, not analyze an existing content to create an image from it, so the architecture i pretty different. For example when looking at their way to get the kernel needed, they use a qcow2 container in which they look for the kernel they want. On my side, I look in the local file system to do the same. So this shows that we could probably merge some techniques used, but it would take time and need some work. Maybe I can take that in account when refactoring mindi’s code, as I started to do with the new 3.0 version.
Anyway, again another tool to put on the TODO list and to look at.
Robert Collins

Next one was about Log content analysis in the continuous integration process of OpenStack by Clark Boylan, HP. Clark explained the tools they used and integrated to support this activity (Gearman, Logstash, and ElasticSearch), and as usual in the open. In particular, he showed how to extract useful information from billions of lines of log in their CI process.

Clark Boylan

Finally, the last session was on Bare metal provisioning with OpenStack by Devananda van der Veen, HP, who is the PTL for this Ironic project. Again my interest is also in relationship with MondoRescue which does similar stuff. But yet again from a different angle: deploying OpenStack with OpenStack. The project is still new, but progressing rapidly. It aimed at replacing crowbar typically. I really like the way Devananda present as I feel much clever at the end of his presentation, as this is always very clear and easy to get ! He even finished earlier his talk (which was very convenient for me as I had to leave quickly to catch my plane !). He could hav used that time for a short demo (I like demos it help me understand better !)

Devananda van der Veen

As you can see, HP’s involvement in OpenStack is really strong and not only throwing money in the project (thing that we also do !) but bringing expertise, project lead, build resources, code to it.

UWA
LCA is really a great event, focussing on various Open Source and Linux communities. It’s also one of the oldest worldwide, and the locations are always very nice, and people are just awsome there ! That’s why I’ll continue to submit proposals and hopefully be able to attend again in the future if they are retained. However, while I think that LCA’s reputation is well deserved, I think the largest event today for our communities is FOSDEM in Europe, attracting more than two thousands people each year only over a week-end however, but maybe without the same involvement of the Linux Kernel community. I won’t be there this year due to a conflict with another HP event, but I also recommend you to attend as a lot happens there as well.

LCA

Reminder, all the photos I took during the event are available at https://plus.google.com/photos/+BrunoCornec/albums/5966194867275136465

Day 4 at Linux.conf.au

2014/01/19

Those interested by the previous part of the story can read the previous article on LCA14.

This time, even if still tired by night work, I had to be on time in order to attend the keynote.

Matthew Garrett's Keynote

Matthew Garrett was talking about Security in general Secure Boot in particular (a subject he has been covering for a long time now). This was complementary to the Keynote given on Day 1. Matthew insisted on the need, in a post Snowden area, for technologies such as Secure Boot to improve Security which are more and more turned on by default. Having a trusted and verified boot chain is a critical aspect of system security, which Secure Boot provides. And this letting users replacing their keys, so leaving freedom to them (on x86). And today Linux distributions are indeed supporting pretty well Secure Boot on UEFI, as I was able to test myelf during the UEFI Plugfest we had last year. Matthew posed more questions in fact than he gave answers around security: What level of trust to have for hosters, Software or HyperVisors or or Firmware or Hardware manufacturers. Of course as he said rigtly “Imperfect security is better than no security” and he mentionned that most of the attacks are model specific, so we may still have a certain level of trust in our platforms. He also reminded that Security agencies may not be the biggest concern with regards to security.
And BTW as Matthew said “if we don’t trust our Hardware, then why are we running a computer”.

I found that keynote very relevant, and making you think once more to how you treat security and how you can do that better to protect your contents.

Matthew Garrett

After the traditional morning coffee, during which people exchange on various topics of their choices such as shoes, it was time to attend the 2 sessions of the morning.

Coffee pause

The first was on Python Packaging 2.0 by Nick Coghlan which I was curious to see in order to measure the impact on project-builder.org. Unfortunately, it went rapidly into a lot of concepts intimately linked to python, which I’m not savy enough in to follow closely and PEP proposals of evolutions I’d need to read before being able to understand stuff better. So with a doubt a good presentation, but I wasn’t the right audience ;-)

Nick Coghlan

And that was the same with the next one. Very good presentation from Katie Miller on functional languages (and in particular Elixir), but that’ very far from what I do and know. I hadn’t a better choice for that time slot, so at least enjoyed the pictures she used.

That was much better after lunch for me. The first session was full, and after having seen it I undertsood why !

Full session on mosh

mosh belongs to this category of small software that rapidly becomes mandatory in your environment. If you use ssh, and screen to manage disconnecitons, then mosh is for you. What does it do for you: well it uses ssh to login to your remote system and after that it does communicate with it using UDP on another port, and keeps the connection available and ready to use, even if you disconnect, and reconnect from another IP e.g. Typical usage when you hibernate to go back home. It also echo locally characters, and underline them when they are also received on the other side. The demo was pretty impressive from that perspective. I alwyas found scren annoying as unable to keep my keyboard shortcuts and here, mosh does the job for you. The only point is that you need an open port on your firewall to go through with the UDP dialog, but that’ a light drawback I’m ready to accept to benefit from the services it provides. Ah; and ^C is just immediate ! That was really a useful and great presentation. Thanks Jim Cheetham to make it obvious it was the tool I needed !

Jim Cheetham

The next session I chose on Petitboot, was also a good one. Again the principle is easy to understand: what if you were using Linux (the kernel) as your boot loader ? Instead of redeveloping each time driver support for each boot loader, and dealing with bugs already solved in the Linux kernel. Thats’ the simple yet powerful idea behind Petitboot. Jeremy explained clearly the advantages of his approach such as native support of a network stack and easy addition of client protocol for http, ftp, nfs… From that initial kernel acting as boot loader, the launch of the “real” kernel is done with kexec. Definitely worth exploring. So again added to my TODO list which never gets empty !

Jeremy Kerr

After the afternoon pause, it was time to go to Bdale’s session. I arrived early in the room, and that was a good choice as 5 minutes before the start the room was completely full, and they prevented more people to enter.

Full room for Bdale

He explained that when the LCA organizer contacted him for a talk in 2013, he was still sorting issues folliwng the fire disaster which occured to his house and wasn’t really thinking to a talk for LCA. But they convinced him to just talk about that, as they really wanted to have him onboard. So that was indeed not a technical talk on IT, rather a technical talk on life during and after such as disaster. That was a shoking story of course, and Bdale, despite the humour he always keep in his talks, was touched even months after the event when he told us the story. He also gave some hints in order to keep important papers outside of the house, or scanning them to keep them on a mobile computer you can get with you. Surprisingly (for me) he insisted on insurance contracts and the good choice he made without really realizing it when he was younger. Maybe insurance company explain more to us in Europe consequences of such choices when we do it. As I’m a bit paranoid on valuable data, I already have scanned docs of the most important ones, and the backup copies I do regularly on a laptop nd on a server to always have many versions of the file for both backup and disaster recovery purposes. Maybe my work oN MondoRescue made me that way :-) Bdale received a lot of help from the community during this period and he concluded by saying that people were awesome and he was really meaning at the tone of his voice. Pretty moving presentation I must confess.

Bdale Garbee

I didn’t attend the last session of the day due to a call with my daughter and later I attended the Dinner for Professionals, where I passed most of the time discussing with Thomas Petazzoni again. Robert Collins was HP’s representative to introduce the session and he did it that shortly and with lots of energy !

Robert Collins

Waiting now for the last day !

Day 3 at Linux.conf.au

2014/01/14

Those interested by the previous part of the story can read the previous article on LCA14.

I really had to sleep a bit that night (5 hours is a minimum these days) so I missed the lightning talks of the morning, but it doesn’t seem I missed a major announce there. But I didn’t want to miss the start of the main conferences.

UWA

As a followup of the previous day, and in order to know better what we, HP, do for the OpenStack project, I chose to attend Elisabeth Krumbach Joseph who was describing the management of the project infrastructure. She made a good description of the tools used, including some navigation on the various Web interfaces they are using. She insisted on the fact that all the infrssctructure is managed the same way as the rest of the OpenSTack project, which means in the open, and using gated trunk as well ,which is much less usual for an infrstucture than for a project. It sounded to me as a risk of adding too much bureaucracy, and was maybe more suited for an established infra not moving too much, but they seem to deal with it without problem. Definitely an interesting approach that to have peer review of infrastructure configuration changes before applying them. Maybe my Solution Center could get some inspiration out of it. Will see when I’m back. The ~6 people are managing around 35 servers for the OpenStack infra (all virtual, so they do not deal with HW issues).
As she had time left, I think nxt time she could demo in more details some of the tools she mentioned, and give a bit more details around sizing (which I gathered from questions I asked).
Elisabeth Krumbach Joseph

As I’m always interested by build or execution environment, I then attended the presentation from Jay Coles on Linception: playing with conatiners under Linux. It took me nearly the full presentation to understand what it really was about, as I first thought it would be an explanation of LXC or something similar, but it was in fact again a new implementation of containers for Linux, using various capabilities provided by the kernel. (Thanks to the audience member who asked for a demo at the, which made it completely clear to me then !). And re-reading the description of the talk, I think the content wasn’t completely what was described. Anyway, was interesting, but do we really need again a new solution in that area, after LXC, Libvirt-lxc and systemd-spawn ? Look yourself at http://www.doger.io/ to make your own idea. I’m not completely convinced.
Jay Cole

After lunch, Mark Nottingham explained to us what HTTP 2.0 was all about. Plenty of good reasons to improve HTTP for sure, with lots of graphs demonstrating the issues. But guys, please stop making stuff so administrator unfriendly ! Compressing header may be a win for resources, but for sure a loss for us. We won’t be able to make a simple telnet host 80 and type GET / HTTP/1.0 e.g to check rapidly stuff. I don’t think that helps at the end. Of course modifications are required to solve real issues. But be smart and invent something more friendly for us.
Mark Nottingham.

Then was a conference from someone I really wanted to see, if only for his vcs-pkg.org initiative. And more over because Martin Krafft was talking about configuration management for system administration, which is something I’m also working on for my systems, even if I don’t have the final solution at the moment (ansible looking really close to what I like the most). And his presentation was in the line of what I expected: he prefers pets to cattle, and I must confess so do I ;-) He has strong opinion (he is a Debian advocate ;-)) on system management, and most of them sound pretty acurate to me. Martin developed a tool called reclass to help him encapsulate Salt and Ansible and do what he wants them to do. Definitely worth exploring. Even if it seems that latest versions of Salt have similar features, making the tool less useful. Anyway, I prefer ansible (for the SSH communication aspect), so added to my TODO list, which never gets empty !
Martin Krafft

After that talk, I could not miss the only one made by a french hacker ! Especially as I know Thomas Petazzoni for a long time now, have loved his Kernel presentations he was making in the past, and was interested to see a new tool such as BuildRoot, which could be relevant in the MondoRescue context. And it seems I wasn’t the only one as the room was pretty packed for his presentation, which is good for his first LCA.

Thomas Petazzoni

Is it chauvinism ? I found his presentation one of the best of the week. He gave a very detailed view on the tool features, giving concrete example of usage corresponding to the various configurations he was describing. But all that remaining cristal clear. The presentation was easily understood by the audience. The tool itself is pretty impressive, recompiling in order all what is needed to make a standalone Linux from scratch system ready to be embedded on any system. Of course, Thomsa knows the subject extremely well as he does that for a living for free electron, which was appearing on Jon Corbets’s stats as a major ARM kernel contributors company.

He even mentioned the help that is provided with regards to licenses of the software contained in the build, which is a topic too few developers take seriously, and it was great to see him mentioning that.

My only regret: I’d have loved to have a short demo of on of his existing system, but honestly he had no additional time to do it, so could be worth adding for a one hour time slot. Anyway, well done Thomas, and looking forward to attend more of your presentation, as I always learn stuff when I do, which makes my day :-)

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-clI2-vU4hKk/Us2ovNL9oNI/AAAAAAAAB3U/TBXFPTxkNjA/w466-h704-no/DSC_9956.JPG

And finally, I finished the day with another of my favorite speakers in such event, Ric Wheeler from Red Hat who was talking about File systems and storage systems of course ! But this time he was exploring the concerns that bring to the Linux Kernel community the new storage systems arriving: Flash components used on memory slots, post-flash components, with low lantency and high storage capabilities (such HP’s own memristor e.g.). But even if it creates some difficulties to the kernel hackers to keep with the pace of storage technology, these are really good news, as first storage technology will now also make a giant leap, as was done for network, CPU in the past. We will have TB of data in a very small form factor soon, providing bandwidth and latency optimal accesses. Then the Linux community is part of the developments made around these new devices, instead of running behind as it was the case in its enfancy. And finally it will change a lot the way we architect solutions in the future, especially thinking about optic introduction to interconnect all these new components. So the future 10 years are a as bright as were the past 20 ones at least.

Ric Wheeler

That days was also the day of the Penguin Dinner, which was at a walking distance from the University.

Penguin Dinner

And I must confess I passed that dinner as a lzay guy speaking french with Thomas, and also 2 other french persons from Neo Caledonia ! We were near the Swan River and beloeve me, it was pretty cold compared to the Monday, so I ended up having a small flu :-( But that was a nice time remaking the world again and discussing technology.

French discussion at LCA

The place was really neat with a view over the Swan River up to the city, and we stayed there a couple of hours, before going back to our hotels, tired, but happy of the day, and just waiting for the next one !

Swan River view

BTW all videos are now online so you can easily make your own opinion by looking yourself at them, as if you were there (you just lack the sun, the wine, and the nice talks ;-)) Cf: http://mirror.linux.org.au/linux.conf.au/2014/

Perth by night

Day 2 at Linux.conf.au

2014/01/09

Those interested by the start of the story can read the previous article on LCA14.

Kate Chapman
Day 2 at Linux.conf.au started with another keynote.

This time we had a presentation of a subproject of OpenStreetmap called HOT and showed how they’re using and promoting Open Street Map in humanitarian situations such as earth quake or floods. Typically was intereting that they now use it proactively in some part of the world such as Indonesia to *prevent* disasters, rather than reacting afterwards.
Kate Chapman

Listening to that, I thought that each country should propose to their young people in age of conscription (when they still have such thing in place) to contribute freely during a 3/6 months period to such an initiative: They don’t need high skilled IT engineers, but just people able to make correct maps of a given area in their neighbourhood. We could end up having a large Open Data collection in Open Street Map, regularly up to date.

Anyway, I was impressed by the generosity of this project, and to see how concretely useful some of the work which is done by hthe Open Source community is used.

The rest of the day was again dedicated to Miniconfs. I passed my time in OpenStack one. The track was organized by Michael Still of Rackspace who was last year Conference Director and made probably the most interesting session of the week in introduction, which consisted into giving an OpenStack T-shirt to all attendees ;-)
Michael Still

There were then some changes in the set of sessions due to infortunate problems for some speakers. So James E Blair from the OpenStack Foundation and Michael Still did the presentation on Open Stack governance on behalf of Tristan Goode.
James Blair & Michael Still
Followed by Paul Holland’s presentation on the move to a foundation made by the Open Stack community to manage their brand and governance model just explained, which is quite unique in its willingness to be egalitarian, which is probably a big concern when you gather thousand+ developers and dozens+ companies, and you want everybody plays the game. So the whole election mechanism, to board, to PTL roles, the gated trunk, … are probably mandatory now for such huge project with such a young history. I’d not necessarily recommend every project to adopt it as it will IMO be overkill for most of them,even if continuous testing (for them with Jenkins) is for sure a good idea (I wish they would do continuous packaging as well ;-)). However, for the projects I’m leading, it’s still an objective rather than a reality.
Paul Holland

In the afternoon, there were presentation on an incubated Open Stack project by Bruno Lago for billing called Artifice and based on the recently introduced telemetry OpenStack Ceilometer. There are different proposals around this billing need, and time will say which solution is retained as a project.

The following presentation was more interestig for me as it was on improving Network support in OpenStack by Iain Robertson from Brocade. It’s interesting to observe how this area of Network Functions Virtualzation (NFV) and Software Defined Network (SDN) is moving so fast, which is surely only possible due to the rapid evolutions made on lots of Open SOurce components to support them. I think there will be more and more overlap betwee nthe functions provided by the major Frameworks such as OpenStack (python based) OpenDaylight (java based) if only for language eason (API, interfaces, reuse of code) …

Then we had a very good presentation of Erasure Code for Open Stack Swift by John Dickinson, Swift PTL. which explained how this sort of RAID technology for Swift, the object storage brick of OpenStack, will be provided, and made a demo which helped understanding the concepts exposed.
John Dickinson

Anita Kuno, HP, came back on stage for a short presentation on some unknown aspects of OpenStack around the CI tooling (grab her presentation when it will be published to ge tthe links).
Anita Kuno

Then again Robert Collins, HP, took over Joe Gordon’s presentation on the evolution of OpenStack between Diablo and Havanna. Which on one hand looks very similar with the same core components, and also lots of differences with three times the number of lines of code and many additional bricks added. Of course, while not the original speaker, Robert’s extremely large knowledge of OpenStack in a whole, allowed him to very precisely show the dynamism of this project and the progresses made in the last 2 years. He also explained how Nova lost most of the features it had initialy to create separate components instead.
Robert Collins

Overall remarks about LCA2014: timing are respected very strictly, and they provide enough time in order to move from one conference to another (which could take 5 minutes crossing the university), they have timekeeper in each room, video in each room (at least all the one I was in). The first day they forgot to print banner to indicate where the rooms were, so it was a bit difficult to find its way (despite online maps, but regular readers know I’m old(fashioned) and also like signs !). Day 3 was thus perfect with regards to that !
Signs on Wednesday !

I had a very nice dinner that second day at the Friends Restaurant, with a Grilled barramundi fillet, quinoa risotto, roasted almonds and confit summer vegetable in extra virgin olive oil ! Of course, with such a title, It could only be a french touch, and indeed the chef was french. But the fish was local and very good !
Dinner

That was a long evening full of mail, and some coding. More pictures are available at https://plus.google.com/photos/112434061686721373729/albums/5966194867275136465

Next day is the start of the main conferences !


Follow

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 102 other followers