Archive for August, 2015

Mondoescue 3.2.1 is now available … with effort and pain !

2015/08/31

Believe it or not, it has been one of the most challenging version to produce ! And one which was really awaited by lots of people.

First all those of you who had problems restoring big files with 3.2.0 which had issues with that. Now that’s solved (was already with the beta previously).

Then those of you who had a RHEL 5 system. 3.2.0 wasn’t working, and 3.2.1 should be much better. Similarly for the people using RHEL 7. This is the real first version working for RHEL 7 available of MondoRescue. I’ve made most of my tests with a RHEL 7 VM in order to track all the errors which were remaining for that env (also some smaller but annoying ones). The root cause is that I had a customer wanting to move to that version for RHEL 7, and I wanted them to be happy with the result. Doesn’t mean they won’t encounter issues, despite what I did, but I’m much more comfortable to handle the cases in their support contract (Yes this is a paying customer).

And finally those of you who were trying to have a working environment for a UEFI based machine with RHEL 6. UEFI wasn’t working at all with 3.2.0 (and previous versions) even if EFI was working on Itanium systems. So this time I used a real system to make again lots of different tests, and solving again lots of issues linked to the support of UEFI, and now I’m happy with the result. The media made is recognized by the UEFI shell or the HP ProLiant guided boot menu. And a full backup / restore works also on it. So that other customer (an HP one, but not a paying one from a MondoRescue perspective… yet) should as well be happy and be able to use MondoRescue to perform its clones and installs correctly.

Could it be better ? Of course. RHEL 7 + UEFI are not yet friends. That will be for 3.2.2, as I want to keep my job ;-). Few bugs in trac have been addressed during these last 8 months, sorry for that. But a lot not mentioned there have been solved, and that was most of the work. And a lot of work has been put (commit hours are real !) into solving the customers needs and deliver that version on time. That’s probably why I hate time based releases, as it forces you to deliver (which is always good), but not with the serenity which should be part of an OpenSource development. Of course, that’s my fault ! I should have anticipated these requests (UEFI and RHEL 7 are there since a long time). But hey, this is still not my day job at HP. So I can only do my best as time permits. And I have a lot of other hobbies that I’ll be back to now so they can also know some progress. That’s also why I do not make more regular releases. But patches are always welcome.

Anyway, pain is over, a new version is here. Test it, report feedback, try to not break it too much, and remember to do regular backups whatever the tools you use.

Download at

Advertisements

Redfish 1.0 is now out and soon used by our projects

2015/08/20

Recently the DMTF announced that the Redfish standard had reached version 1.0, the first usable for production.

If you don’t know Redfish yet, and don’t want to read the full spec, I can summarize it very roughly as a cross-manufacturer RESTful API to configure Hardware systems and recover info from them. Pretty cool in fact as this was a missing brick for a full Open Source based multi-platform Software Defined Infrasctrucute.

Now remains for us to update our python-redfish with it, and start supporting more features now it’s stable. That the first step will allow Ironic, the bare metal component of OpenStack, to have Redfish support, which is IMHO a very highly desirable feature. Not for Liberty, hopefully the spec will be ready for M and code sufficiently developed to allow us to win a slot in the Summit !

Then it will also allow us to advance on the other project we’d like to promote: Alexandria, which is a clever (of course, I’m part of the design team ;-)) way to interface CMDBs (well the one who are themselves clever enough to have a parametrized data model such as iTop) and Hardware information providers such as Redfish.

Imagine that you rack a new Refish compliant server (HP ProLiant Gen9 are among the first to provide already a subset of it), cable power and management board, integrate some info on that machine in your CMDB (iLO credntial and IP address e.g.), and ask through Alexandria that the rest is filled by Redfish calls. And kept updated as time passes. Well, that’s exactly what we try to achieve, as this is one of the need we have to maintain our Solution Center CMDB up to date as easily as possible.

Lots of good ideas, but not enough code to show for now. Hopefully, we should be able to have an Alexandria demo with somple drivers ready for the upcoming OpenStack Summit… and be able to travel to exchange our views with other OpenStacker around all this.